Update 6/27: I just received an email welcoming me back to Facebook. I have not done anything to initiate this, time to change the password and sanitize the account. Wow. And here is my Facebook account. Please comment if any of my privacy is showing.
It’s been a month and a half since I killed my Facebook account. Can’t really say I’ve missed it, but at the same time I feel like I’m missing out on the party. There are new things on the site, Q&A, videos, new iPhone app, location is coming, blah, blah that I want to check out but can’t.
My entire line of reasoning for leaving can be condensed into one statement (paraphrased from a conversation about Facebook owning FriendFeed):
With FriendFeed, you have to work to add information to your activity stream; with Facebook it’s the opposite, you have to work to remove information from your activity stream.
With that, I’ll be back on Facebook shortly with the following conditions:
- My account will act more as a pointer to my main identity – www.latko.org
- Personal information will kept at a minimum
- Access denied to any and all apps
- Never use Facebook Connect
- Opt out of instant personalization
- Never use the status update